Sunday, 14 March 2010

I'm just a mushroom - kept in the dark and fed bu...

Now, everyone knows I love mushrooms for my dinner, be it garlic, Shitake or chestnut - but I was most impressed I discovered this extraordinary mushroom earlier today; Omphalotus olearius. Not only does it look yummy, it's said to smell wonderful and taste delicious - so much so that there are cases of repeat poisonings by people being tempted to try it again and again. Thankfully this glow in the dark mushroom (otherwise known as the Jack O'Lantern) isn't lethal, but it does causes serious cramps, vomiting and diarrhea. (Img1: www.mtsn.tn.it, Img2: See here for more incredible mushrooms!)

Following the train of thought, Jack O'lanterns, I was pondering if by putting a (or many) mirror(s) by a candle would it actually increase the amount of light? Bearing in mind you can see the flame, and the reflection seems just as intense... Having had a good think about it, I checked using the power of the interwebs, which confirmed my suspicions: No. It simply utilises the light and puts it in a more useful direction. It's the same amount of light, but more efficient.

Quote of the Day: "Pushbikes...I probably couldn't ride out of sight on a dark night without running out of puff!" - The Australian.

No comments: